School systems (was dwj-digest (Diana Wynne Jones) V1 #929

Jon Noble jon_p_noble at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 20 15:05:32 EST 2004

--- Judith Ridge <Judith.Ridge at det.nsw.edu.au> wrote:

> > Another type is the Agricultural High School,
> which
> > have always been around, and are boarding schools
> > usually in country areas. There is one of these in
> > Sydney which is also a selective school and has
> had
> > the best name of any school in the State, public
> or
> > private (although a bit tarnished in the last
> couple
> > of years).
>
> Best name in the state? Not if it's the one I was
> appointed to as a first
> year out in 1986. The recent investigations into the
> poor academic standards
> and the appalling "culture" of the school (students
> and teachers) was going
> on back then. I could tell you stories make your
> toes curl.
>
> Judith

It still topped the state in HSC results in the League
Table in Saturday's Sydney Morning Herald. I just
think that its good to see some of the elite private
schools having their dirty washing aired in public as
well. Mind you I don't think that the excellent
results produced by these schools (both public and
private) have a lot to do with the schools themselves.
It is just that if you take an elite group of students
they will give an elite group of results.

Jon