Birthdays/biases/logic

Dorian E. Gray israfel at eircom.net
Mon Dec 20 13:46:37 EST 2004

Charlie said...

> I've never been able to bring myself to buy a national lottery ticket,
> though occasionally tempted, because I've never been able to forget Dr
> Johnson's description of it as 'a tax on fools'.

I shall now sink myself beyond reproach and admit that I buy lottery tickets
on a semi-regular basis.  In my defence, I can only say that I buy only one
entry to the draw, do it maybe twice a month, I can afford it, and I don't
actually expect to win anything.  On the two or three occasions that I have
won the smallest and commonest amount, I have been disproportionately
satisfied, and then amused at my satisfaction, since I'm well aware that
I've paid out more than I've won.

Which reminds me, I've about four tickets sitting in my bag right now, left
from the last two or three months - I really should check their numbers!
(Possibly the only thing sillier than buying lottery tickets is buying
lottery tickets and then forgetting to check the numbers until after the
deadline for claiming a prize has passed!)

Dorian.