Huh

Dorian E. Gray israfel at eircom.net
Mon Dec 20 13:38:25 EST 2004

Minnow said...

> Anyone who's ever read any book in which some thing or other is
> condemned by the author or the viewpoint character as "vulgar" is likely
> to feel a bit got at as they read, if they happen to think the thing is
> perfectly ok.

Oh yes.

On a slight tangent, I saw Buckingham Palace for the first time last year,
and my first thought was, "how...how *middle-class*!"  The thought being
inspired by the sight of net curtains at all the windows.  I had to laugh at
myself as I thought it, but I did think it. :-)

>>I am pretty sure that Lewis was drawing on Nesbit anyway. Witness _The New
>>Treasure Seekers_: "Father knows a man called Eustace Sandal. I do not
>>know how
>>to express his inside soul, but I have heard father say he means well.
>
> Ouch!

It's one of the worst things you can say of someone, almost, isn't it - that
sort of pitying "oh well, he *means* well...".

> [note for anyone who doesn't happen to have met this: "eccentric" is a
> British euphamism for "stark staring loony but harmless".]

I've always thought of it more as "eccentric" equals "nutty but rich" - but
maybe I read too much Georgette Heyer. :-)

Dorian.