Huh

deborah deborah.dwj at suberic.net
Mon Dec 20 12:12:25 EST 2004

On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 minnow at belfry.org.uk wrote:
|There's a fine line anyway between having high principles and being a
|crank.

and an extremely common literary technique is to make the entire
philosophy behind a set of principles seem ridiculous by portraying
everyone who has those principles as an over the top crank.  (This is
the problem I've been having getting more than 100 pages into the
Fountainhead -- everyone who disagrees with Roark is a selfish,
self-centered, corrupt fool whose idea of architecture is exclusively
and explicitly limited to copying that which came before; straw men.)

DWJ doesn't do this much.  Oh, she does the usual which everyone does --
racists are evil and/or stupid, for example.  But it seems to me that
far from parodying entire groups of people, lots of her work is based on
mocking those who assume that definitions are that easy, in Howl or
Power of Three, for example.

Though she was rather merciless toward vague adults until Lives of CC
came out.

-deborah
--
"I don't want to know what the structuralists think!  I want to
know what you think!"  -- Archer's Goon, Diana Wynne Jones