Huh

Robyn Starkey rohina at shaw.ca
Mon Dec 20 12:03:55 EST 2004

>The urge to mock the over-earnest isn't confined to those two authors, I
>don't think: it runs as a thread through an awful lot of literature.
>Doesn't Jane Austen fail to suffer some sorts of fool gladly? Dickens
>can be fairly scathing on his day, too, as can Thackery and Trollope.

This is an interesting point. I find that Lewis is rarely funny though -
like he doesn't understand the fine line between ridicule and satire or
preachiness and parody. Look at how hilarious Mr Collins is. Yes, it's
obvious that Austen doesn't like him, but she can be witty about it instead
of obvious.

Robyn