Birthdays/biases/logic

Otter Perry ottertee at silverwinggraphics.com
Mon Dec 20 11:01:01 EST 2004

On Sunday, December 19, 2004, at 08:19 AM, Margaret Ball wrote:

> Finally I got it. They don't buy lottery tickets because they want to
> gamble. They buy lottery tickets because they want the fantasy of
> gambling without the bother of turning their brains on.

Speaking as somebody who both understands the laws of chance _and_
who buys lottery tickets, I don't think that's quite correct.  I don't
buy tickets
because I want the fantasy of gambling; I buy a ticket because it seems
small price to pay [and goodness know the state needs the money] for
the fantasy of winning.

I don't gamble.  I don't like it.  I don't have the guts for it.

- The first rule of holes:
    when you're in one, stop digging.

                     -- Molly Ivins