characters who reverse images of good and evil

deborah.dwj at suberic.net deborah.dwj at suberic.net
Mon Dec 20 09:07:38 EST 2004

|This entire thread ought to be labelled "spoilers", really.  Anyone who
|hasn't read the Diane Duane "Door Into" books, read no further if you
|don't want to know what happens in the end!

Spoilers removed --

I agree completely, Minnow.  The cleverest part is that she does it
without suddenly revealing some secret knowledge that the reader
couldn't have had.  Instead she just reveals the behavior of one
character from a different perspective.

It's actually a really neat way of pointing out that even reliable
narrators can be unreliable.  All narrative points of view that aren't
third person omniscient have a bias (and the third person omniscient
points of view do as well, but is just the author's bias and there's
nothing you can do about it).

ObDWJ: Which makes me think of the end of Power of Three, really a book
about, in some ways, narrative bias.

-deborah
--
I'm not a roman, mum, and I never will be. I'm a kike, a yid, a
heebie, a hook-nose, I'm kosher, mum. I'm a red sea pedestrian, and