characters who reverse images of good and evil

Kyla Tornheim kyla at sccs.swarthmore.edu
Mon Dec 20 07:43:44 EST 2004

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004, Judith Ridge wrote:

> Isn't the reason none of the examples people are coming up with are exactly
> what Jackie's student is saying about characters in HP because in all these
> other books (and movies etc) there is complexity and ambiguity in the
> characterisations that is lacking in Rowling's villains? I am not going to
> over-generalise much, because I gave up in despair and disappointment after
> HP2, but the whole "nyah nyah, Snape's not a baddy after all, tricked you!"
> of HP1 was one of the (many) things that made me want to hurl the book
> across the room. (Only I didn't because I venerate The Book even if I loathe
> the book...) I thought it was a cheap trick and not even worthy of the title
> "red herring".

Well, I do have to add that I rather liked how, while Snape may not be
*evil* and working for the wrong people, he's still mean and nasty and
vindictive and hates Gryffindor. But that's about as complex as things get
in HP (although I know a bunch of people who are all "um, Dumbledore? A
*good* guy? Yeah. Right.")