characters who reverse images of good and evil

minnow at belfry.org.uk minnow at belfry.org.uk
Mon Dec 20 06:03:44 EST 2004

Liina wrote:
>> But I'm having trouble with examples of the
>> other way around:  appears to be bad, is revealed to be good.
>
>I hope this hasn't been mentioned already, but it seems to me that the
>The Song of Ice and Fire -series by George R. R. Martin is full of
>characters who at first seem to be the embodiment of evil, and then at
>a closer look are revealed to be just human beings with reasons for
>their actions. This is not quite the reversal of good and evil, I
>think, but just in a way shows that the whole good/evil -thing can
>depend on the point of view.

This entire thread ought to be labelled "spoilers", really.  Anyone who
hasn't read the Diane Duane "Door Into" books, read no further if you
don't want to know what happens in the end!

spoiler space

Our Hero, the Missing Heir, et cetera et cetera, has to contend for
three books with the villainous usurper who is trying to kill the Heir
so that he can hang onto the throne.  Nothing the usurper has done is
denied or explained away at any point, it is all true; it's just that
there comes a point when we are shown his perspective, and it is
(honestly) rather more reasonable than that of the Heir.  It's one of
the neatest turnabouts from villain to Good Guy Doing His Very Best I've
read, I think.

Minnow