characters who reverse images of good and evil

Elizabeth Evans er.evans at auckland.ac.nz
Sun Dec 19 21:58:18 EST 2004

What about the one in 'The Dark is Rising' - sorry, it's so long since I've
read it that I've forgotten his name - who is both good and bad at the same
time because Will knows him both before and after he went bad?
You can tell my memory of this book is hazy, but some of it has stuck with
me. I always felt really sorry for this bloke (was it Hawking?) and never
liked the Merlin figure much after what he did to his sidekick.