CS Lewis

JOdel at aol.com JOdel at aol.com
Sun Dec 19 19:19:58 EST 2004

Oh, Lewis was *deffinitely* springboarding off of Nesbit. I wouldn't be
surprised if she wasn't one of his favorite authors when he was a boy. He was born
in '98 and her career was just getting off the ground about then. But I get a
distinct impression from his work that once he reached the point of
considering himself "grown up" he not only didn't read a lot of stories written for
children (unless the author was a personal friend of his), but would have scorned
the idea that there were adults who did.

Consequently, when he came to write them, his style was 30 years out of date
and an anachronism when compared to a lot of what was being published
concurrently. So was Tolkein's in The Hobbit,for that matter.

Still, I haven't made a close study of the man's life and could be completely
off in left field.