dwj-digest (Diana Wynne Jones) V1 #929

Hallie O'Donovan hallieod at indigo.ie
Sun Dec 19 17:53:03 EST 2004

Dorian:

>>Maybe that, rather than chronological age, should be the
>>distinguishing mark of a Crone: can you recognize a slide rule?
>
>Ah... I can recognise a slide rule (I'm 35).  I have no idea how you
>*work* a slide rule (though I'd rather love to learn), but I do know
>one when I see one.
>
>I think I'm one of the last crowd in this country to learn to use
>log tables; I was in the second year of students allowed to bring
>calculators (and calculators capable of dealing with logarithms, to
>boot!) into the Leaving Cert exams, and I think the log tables got
>phased out in favour of calculators over the next few years.  I
>*liked* my log tables.

No no, they're using them still.  (I ought to know because log tables
have an even worse habit of disappearing than the calculators, albeit
a less expensive one!)  I'm not entirely sure *why* they're using
them when they're taught to do most things with the calculator, but
they are still required.

Slide rules I remember, but - like most of my maths minor - only the
appearance remains!

Hallie