dwj-digest (Diana Wynne Jones) V1 #929

Dorian E. Gray israfel at eircom.net
Sun Dec 19 15:32:11 EST 2004

Margaret suggested...

> Maybe that, rather than chronological age, should be the distinguishing
> mark of a Crone: can you recognize a slide rule?

Ah... I can recognise a slide rule (I'm 35).  I have no idea how you *work*
a slide rule (though I'd rather love to learn), but I do know one when I see
one.

I think I'm one of the last crowd in this country to learn to use log
tables; I was in the second year of students allowed to bring calculators
(and calculators capable of dealing with logarithms, to boot!) into the
Leaving Cert exams, and I think the log tables got phased out in favour of
calculators over the next few years.  I *liked* my log tables.

Dorian.