Birthdays

Dorian E. Gray israfel at eircom.net
Sun Dec 19 15:16:46 EST 2004

Gili said...

> I'm not keeping up with the discussion on the list, much as I'd like to.
> But
> I do feel I ought to apologize to Dorian, I didn't mean to come off half
> as
> snippy as I may have, and the "obviously super-intelligent" bit was meant
> in
> all sincerity. This particular discussion is pushing some of my hot
> buttons,
> that's all it is.
<snip>
> In other words, I meant nothing personal when I jumped all over you,
> Dorian:
> it's just the result of years of conditioning to pounce on particular
> kinds
> of flaws in particular kinds of arguments.
<snip>
>Please accept my apology.

Oh, accepted, completely.  As I said, when I wrote the post in question, I
was intending a slightly sarcastic tone to begin with followed by a fairly
non-biased, make-of-this-what-you-will presentation; either that didn't come
off, or the whole thing pushed your buttons anyway.  (And I have my own
buttons, I know it - just ask anyone who's referred to "books destroying
rain-forests" in my presence!)

Your reaction did seem to me to be "snippy", but since *my* tone didn't come
off as intended, I'm happy to accept that what I perceived as your tone was
also unintended.  (Though I do think calling me "super-intelligent" is
pushing it; "intelligent" I'll admit to, but "super-"?  I'm not that
arrogant!)

Anyway, yes, I did think you were being unwarrantedly nasty, but I don't
think that any more.  Thank you for explaining.

Dorian.