Re Old Farts

Dorian E. Gray israfel at eircom.net
Sun Dec 19 14:55:44 EST 2004

Margaret said...

> However, I did make it through the day without committing the gaffe of
> asking any of the teachers, "What grade are you in, dear?"

Hee hee.  That reminds me of a party my aunt held some years back, when one
of her friends found herself in the position of having to make conversation
to a young relation of my aunt (me).  Doing her best, she smiled nicely at
me and said, "So, when are you doing your Leaving Certificate?"  I tried to
put it as nicely as I could, but there was just no way to say, "Actually, I
graduated from university two years ago" *without* embarrassing the poor
woman.

Dorian.