characters who reverse images of good and evil

Katarina Hjärpe head_overheels at hotmail.com
Sun Dec 19 03:36:45 EST 2004

>Okay, this comment got me thinking about Japanese works of fiction - it
>seems to me that practically every Japanese video game, anime, or manga
>plot I can think of involves some character who seems to be doing some
>absolutely unforgivable evil thing, and then, as the plot wears on, you
>get to find out all about the character's background, and why they did
>what they did, and so on and so forth, and they always turn out to be at
>least theoretically incredibly sympathetic.

It was the same thing in the new Zatoichi film, which I saw a couple of days
ago. I was all‚ "Wait a minute, you can't kill him! I know he's a mobster
murder machine, but he doesn't want to be! Honest! And his poor *wife*..."

Cliché or not, it's still more interesting than the moustachio-twirler. (Not
that the moustachio-twirler can't be *fun*.)

Katta