Re Old Farts

Margaret Ball margaret at onr.com
Sat Dec 18 18:48:50 EST 2004

Dorian wrote

> It really feels quite odd to be one of a group of friends where I am
> *not* one of the oldest!

My sentiments exactly!

For a long time, due to having skipped some grades and stuff, I was
always the youngest person in a group. (Af fifteen, pretending to be
eighteen, I was hiding behind the grad students in the SF group that met
at Scholtz's Beer Garden so the staff wouldn't have to take cognizance
of my illegal presence). Then there was a looong period where
work/writing/children/family problems precluded having anything
resembling a social life.....and now that I'm poking my head up again, I
feel like the Oldest Fart.

Day before yesterday our Katie gave her Final Presentation. This is a
ceremony peculiar to her school wherein each student, upon completing
the credits needed to graduate, reads an essay to a small group of
friends, teachers, and counselors and the teachers read the letters of
reference they are giving the kid.

Apart from being delirious with joy (She made it! She actually did it!
She got through high school!!!!!) I was also confused to discover that
the pimply sophomoric kid was her trigonometry teacher and the very
poised young woman holding a toddler on her lap was a fellow student.
However, I did make it through the day without committing the gaffe of
asking any of the teachers, "What grade are you in, dear?"

--
Margaret Ball
http://www.flameweaver.com

Mathematicians are like Frenchmen; whatever you say to them they translate into their own language and forthwith it is something entirely different.

                                        -Goethe