Doubles in DWJ

Dorian E. Gray israfel at eircom.net
Sat Dec 18 14:00:12 EST 2004

When this topic came up, I thought of what DWJ said when I heard her
speaking at a conference a couple of years ago; she said that some of her
characters in different books were the same base person (I paraphrase!),
which person might or might not be a Real Life person as well.

Anyway, I think I've just found another one (pair) of those.

After the recent discussion, I just *had* to reread "Deep Secret", and it
occurred to me as I neared the end of it this evening that Nick and Howl are
the same person.  Both sweetly selfish and both accomplished
slitherer-outers.  Howl seems to have got the flamboyant part of that
person; I can't really see Nick doing green slime, but Nick has got more of
the care for others; I equally can't really see Howl giving up his Babylon
wish for someone else (at least, not before he gets his heart back...).

This may have been suggested before, of course, in which case I can only
apologise and say that I missed it and am currently feeling all clever for
having spotted it.  (Am also wondering how I missed seeing Neil Gaiman at
the opening ceremony of PhantasmaCon before!)

Dorian.