dwj-digest (Diana Wynne Jones) V1 #929

Rosemary Hopkins rosieburroughs at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 18 11:16:11 EST 2004

 --- Roger Burton West <roger at firedrake.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 17, 2004 at 11:56:38AM +0000, Rosemary Hopkins wrote:
>
> >(It also meant that I did
> >Latin and not IT, because of *course* people who are intelligent
> enough
> >to do Latin will never need IT skills, but that's a whole different
> >argument - it was a very traditional school.)
>
> It worked at the school I was at - they realised that those of us who
> were interested in computers would be spending our free time playing
> with them anyway and didn't need to be taught about them, whereas
> Latin
> and Greek were actually _useful_. (They were right, too.)

Mine was a boarding school at which the boarders had no access to
computers outside school hours. I don't mean that Latin is not useful -
I'm glad I did it - but my IT skills, such as they are, have been
acquired piecemeal and on the job. I am now finding that many employers
want bits of paper to "prove" one knows how to use Word or whatever.

Rosie