A little more Deep Secret for Ika (Was: Re: Favourites/ Least favourites)

Hallie O'Donovan hallieod at indigo.ie
Sat Dec 18 02:09:21 EST 2004

Ika asked why people put Deep Secret near the top of their favourite
lists, and all sorts of wonderful replies were forthcoming, with
which I agreed heartily.  But I've been thinking about it a quite a
bit and realised there was still more which influenced its being one
of my favourites, so am belatedly tossing my 2 cents in too.

Basically, I'm just a romantic sap, *if* the romance feels true to me
(sentimental drivel doesn't work!), and Rupert and Maree are one of
my favourite DWJ couples.  I love the funny, antagonistic
Elizabeth/Darcy beginning, especially as it's seen from 'the inside'
- and how wonderful it is to see Rupert's admission of his Pygmalion
fantasy about Maree!  I love Rupert's uptightness and Maree's
prickliness  and their getting to unbend a bit over the books at the
con.  I love the fact that she says the 'unforgivable thing' to
Rupert, and knows it was unforgivable and is sorry for having done it
- neither of these two is remotely close to being a cardboard cut-out
- and especially not a cut-out romantic hero/heroine.  Most of all I
love the part after she's been stripped.  Rupert's realisation of the
level of his feeling for her is so wonderfully portrayed.  I love
that he thinks about her until he sees her completely, and part of
what he sees is that 'she saw deep into things.'  And I love the way
the journey to Babylon is based on such a subtle blend of
self-reliance and complete mutual need and trust.   How true is that?
Without its being the least bit in your face about it, it's also cool
that it's Rupert who stays waiting (literally keeping the home fires
burning) while Maree 'looks beyond'!  And then she comes back and is
transformed, but by being totally herself - filling her own outlines.
Great stuff...

As Ika (and several other people also, IIRC) haven't read all the
Dalemarks, I'd better stay away from the couple in them, but other
romantic couples?  Dearly as I love Howl (the book!), it's not much
for the romance.  Polly and Tom are wonderful because of that long
heroic friendship.  Millie and Christopher lovely as an adult couple
and fun as a potential one but we don't see quite enough of them.
And I've already lowered myself in everyone's eyes by dismissing the
love at first sight romances in Year of the Griffin, so perhaps
shouldn't do so again. ;)

Hallie