OT: anyone speak Hungarian?

HSchinske at aol.com HSchinske at aol.com
Thu Dec 16 17:39:02 EST 2004

Does anyone on the list speak Hungarian? I have just done a rather silly
thing. I was in a secondhand store recently and got a couple of little ceramic
cups with a mysterious saying on them. Through Googling I am pretty sure that it
must be Hungarian, but that's it. I was going to give them to my husband just
for fun, but I don't want to do that without knowing what they say. The words
are, if I am transcribing correctly, "Igyal, Igyal, engem is kinalj!" with
acute accents over the A in Igyal and kinalj.

I now feel that buying them was probably a stupid thing to do, but maybe he
will think it is funny after all. At any rate he may think *I* am funny. I
picked them up assuming they would have some Norwegian or Swedish expression on
them (I live in a heavily Scandinavian neighborhood), and did rather a
double-take.

I did try an online Hungarian-English dictionary already, with no luck. I
mean, the words were in there, more or less, but I couldn't make anything of
them.

Helen Schinske