Birthdays

Dorian E. Gray israfel at eircom.net
Wed Dec 15 15:17:45 EST 2004

Gili replied to me...

> I don't find it the least bit surprising, nor the least bit interesting,
> other than that a clearly super-intelligent person like yourself is no
> less
> susceptible to the classic pitfalls than any random person on the street.

Ooh, snippy.  I did mention in an earlier post that I got bored with
astrology several years ago.  The post you're replying to was based on what
I remembered, and was intended as a piece of mild amusement (perhaps I
should have made that clearer; the "isn't that interesting" remark was
intended mildly sarcastically, but may not have come across that way), and
was *supposed* not to betray any bias towards or against astrology.
Possibly the fact that I posted it at all implied a bias towards, though.

For the record, I *don't* now think there's anything much in astrology,
though I have had some interesting experiences with the Tarot.

> There are twelve signs. There are several ways of grouping these signs.
> You
> can group them by Air, Fire, Water and Earth, or by Fixed, Cardinal and
> Mutable,  or by Young, Middle, Old, or by Singular and Dual, and probably
> whole variety of other ways I'm not familiar with. Take a group of 30
> people
> at random, analyze their signs. Inevitably, some ways you try to group the
> signs will seem to form patterns, and others won't. Is this significant?

I would say, some ways you group the signs *do* form patterns - no seeming
about it.  Whether those patterns are indicative of anything much is another
matter entirely

> It's all up to the interpretation. When you don't see a clear grouping,
> you
> say "ah, we're pretty balanced", a nice positive thing to say that doesn't
> *disprove* anything. When you do see a clear grouping, you read a meaning
> into it, as if that *does* prove anything.

You, generically, perhaps.  I just pointed out the groupings and refrained
(or intended to refrain) from reading any significance into them.

Dorian.