Intro "form"

Paul Andinach pandinac at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Thu Dec 16 08:42:09 EST 2004

> Name:
Paul

> Living in:
Kalgoorlie, Western Australia

> Age:
24

> What I do when not playing here:
Apart from playing here, I also play trombone (in a brass band and a
show band), piano (not well), church organ, theatre sports, and the
occasional computer game. (Used to play RPGs, but nobody here to play
*with*.)

I also read, listen to the radio, sing bass in a choral ensemble,
write fanfic, contribute to Wikipedia, and generally hang out on the
internet.

Every now and again, I dabble in amateur theatre, most recently
as one of the Two Men in 'Kiss Me, Kate'.

Once a year, I go to Perth for about a week to catch up with the
people and things I miss from my time at uni.

Oh, and there's this job thing that eats up a lot of my time, too.

> Married/partnered/?:
No.

> Offspring (human variety):
No.

> Offspring (non-human):
No.

> First DWJ/when:
Some time in primary school. 'Cart and Cwidder' or 'The Magicians of
Caprona'; I'm not sure which was first.

> Favourite DWJ (Why am I doing this to myself?!):
Excuse me while I get out the dart-board... 'Howl's Moving Castle'.

> Least favourite DWJ:
Some of the short stories.

> Other favourite authors/books:
To narrow it down a bit, I'll just list some authors I buy on sight:
Kage Baker, Emma Bull, Raymond Chandler, Paul Dini, Randall Garrett,
P. C. Hodgell, Janet Kagan, Laurie R. King, Dave Luckett, Kim Newman,
Garth Nix, Peter O'Donnell, Tim Powers, Jeff Smith, Ty Templeton,
Josephine Tey, Cherry Wilder, Patricia Wrede.

As a list of favourites, it has some obvious omissions (in particular,
authors who are well-enough represented at the public library that I
don't feel an urgent need to build a private collection), but we don't
want to be here all day, do we?

(Just a few more: some old favourites since childhood include 'Andrew
and the Alchemist' by Barbara Ninde Byfield, 'The Midnight Folk' by
John Masefield, and 'The Song of Mavin Manyshaped' by Sheri S.
Tepper.)

> Music:
Again, going by what I buy: J. S. Bach, The Bangles, Eric Bogle, Dave
Brubeck, Belinda Carlisle, Johnny Cash, Kasey Chambers, Harry Chapin,
Combo Fiasco, Dire Straits, Flanders & Swann, Gustav Holst, Spike
Jones, Mark Knopfler, Tom Lehrer, Don McLean, Queen, Camille
Saint-Saens, Bedrich Smetana, soundtracks from films and musicals.

> Favourite movies:
The "what I buy" technique doesn't work so well here, because I have a
tendency to buy videos I think I might like and then never get around
to watching them. (And then of course there's my collection of movies
Mark Hamill starred in while everyone else in Star Wars went on to
become famous, compiled - very cheaply, I should add - solely in order
to frighten people at parties by revealing its existence.) And, on the
other hand, I don't buy videos if I can borrow a family member's copy.

That said, movies I own on video/DVD (or want to) include
'Casablanca', 'Dead Again', 'The Fisher King', 'Ladyhawke', 'Minority
Report', 'Miracle on 34th Street', 'Monsters, Inc.', 'Princess
Mononoke', and 'The Usual Suspects'.

> Favourite TV:
I don't watch much TV at the moment - just the occasional miniseries
or documentary, and of course the 'Doctor Who' re-runs. In fact, I'm
making a deliberate effort not to watch more TV, else I'd probably
have made more effort to catch 'Joan of Arcadia'.

I listen to too much radio, though. (And for the person who asked last
year: we do get ISIHAC here now, and I'm enjoying it immensely.)

Past TV series I have enjoyed include 'Batman: The Animated Series',
'Doctor Who', 'Justice League', 'Monkey', 'The Muppet Show', 'Pie in
the Sky', 'The Pretender', 'Red Dwarf', 'Rumpole of the Bailey',
'Spooks', and 'Ultraviolet'.

> Currently reading:
'Lord Darcy' by Randall Garrett.

(Also 'Arthur, King of Time and Space', 'Count Your Sheep', 'Irregular
Webcomic', 'Melonpool', 'Modesty Blaise', and 'Triangle and Robert'.)

Recently: 'Beasts in Velvet' by Jack Yeovil[1], 'The Hitchhiker's
Guide to the Galaxy - The Original Radio Scripts' by Douglas Adams and
Geoffrey Perkins[2], 'The End of Eternity' by Isaac Asimov.

Up next: 'A Study in Sorcery' by Michael Kurland, to see how it stacks
up, and then 'Hellspark' by Janet Kagan.
(Some of the books I mentioned last year are still in the pile -
deeper, if anything.)

I share a birthday with:
P. Diddy, Matthew McConaughey, Jeff Probst, Ralph Macchio, Laura Bush,
Robert Mapplethorpe, Loretta Swit, Barry Crocker, Art Carney, Walter
Cronkite, Will Rogers, and the scientific journal 'Nature'.

Notable anniversaries: the wedding of William and Mary of Orange, the
wedding of Abraham and Mary Lincoln, the discovery of Tutankhamen's
tomb, and the first living creature in orbit.

---
[1] 'Beasts in Velvet' is a dark fantasy murder mystery that starts
out within hailing distance of Jack the Ripper but ends up somewhere
completely different. Two of the characters reminded me of Gwendolen
and Cat, if Cat was hideously unlucky.

[2] My favourite sound-effect direction was the one calling for the
sound of a Ravenous Bugblatter Beast suddenly realising the answer to
10 down in the Galactic Times crossword, and making a mental note to
fill it in when it's finished eating the heroes.

Paul
--
"Hold fast to the one noble thing."