Into the Woods (was Re: Blank Intro Form)

Paul Andinach pandinac at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Wed Dec 15 21:30:24 EST 2004

On Fri, 10 Dec 2004, Melissa Proffitt wrote:

> On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 00:10:11 -0500, Katie Meyers wrote:

> > Actually, I bet a lot of people on this list would love Into the
> > Woods, if they enjoy fantasy and fractured fairy tales.
>
> I think so too, about people here liking it.

I'm fairly sure I'd like it, but I've never had the opportunity.
(Somehow, I can't picture any of the theatre groups around here
tackling Sondheim.)

> If you've never seen it, I highly recommend finding a copy of the
> American Playhouse performance; it's available on VHS and DVD.

A good thought, but I bet that's not available around here either.

> It's nominally about fairy tales, and the first act brings several
> of them together in a more or less traditional manner (what
> departures there are from the well-known stories fit very well
> together).  It's the second act that starts to ask questions about
> free will, choices, and why "nice" is different than "good."

There's a standard rumour about people leaving at half-time because
they thought the musical was over.  :)

Paul
--
"Hold fast to the one noble thing."