CS Lewis (Was: Favourite books)

Kyra Jucovy klj at sccs.swarthmore.edu
Wed Dec 15 12:52:47 EST 2004

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004, Roger Burton West wrote:

> This may be a matter of definitions. The intent is a mitigator (as it
> is the other way round; doing something good in order to try to get
> people to like one can reduce the credit gained by the good act), but
> it's never going to outweigh the action - which the use of "excuse", to
> my mind, implies that it could.
>
> As far as the person who goes to the nice building built by the evil guy
> who wanted good PR is concerned, or the person who's paralysed because
> he was dragged out of a crashed car is concerned, it really doesn't
> matter _why_ the thing was done... it only matters to the person who did
> it. (There is no double-entry bookkeeping in ethics.)

Might I now put in a vote in favor of their being as few Kantian v.
utilitarian ethics arguments on this list as possible?  Not that I'm
forbidding you to discuss it, and it doesn't actually offend me, but. . .
it was to escape such things that I decided definitely not to major in
philosophy!

There is, of course, a perfect obDWJ to use here, but, alas, I do not have
a copy of "The True State of Affairs" at work to quote from.  But it's the
part when Emily writes about the dangers of getting distracted from
reality by getting tangled up in abstruse philosophy ;-).  I like
philosophy, but that quotation (whatever it actually is) pretty much sums
up my feelings about most of the moral philosophy I've read.

					---Kyra

---
Grace Margaret Mulligan: "I want to make this world a little better."
			---Lars Von Trier, _Dogville_