Heyer

HSchinske at aol.com HSchinske at aol.com
Wed Dec 15 11:44:55 EST 2004

In a message dated 12/15/04 5:13:13 AM Central Standard Time, Melissa writes:

> What I hate about online
> purchasing of used books is that the shipping just about kills any chance
> you have of saving money.  I was really disappointed when ABE went to the
> new format of buying books through them instead of contacting sellers
> directly.  Okay, not hugely disappointed; it does make buying multiple books
> from multiple vendors a lot easier.  However, as I discovered when looking
> into buying from a UK vendor, ABE charges through the nose for international
> shipping.  I know darn well that it doesn't cost that much.

The dealers do NOT necessarily actually charge as much as the standard
shipping ABE slaps on there when giving you an estimate. Always ask the dealer about
cheaper shipping options, especially for paperbacks, which are of course
lighter than average.

The other option is of course to just email the dealer directly when you want
to buy a book from them. ABE hasn't eliminated that option.

Helen Schinske