CS Lewis (Was: Favourite books)

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Wed Dec 15 09:52:16 EST 2004

> I think Lewis is showing Bree being forced to move from the one attitude to
> the other, in many ways.  As it were, from despising Calormen and the poor
> and the untaught (look at the way he talks to Shasta at the beginning),
> round to only admiring the best of Narnia without looking at it in relation
> to the worst of Calormen.

I'm amused to realize that Bree very much resembles a certain subset of
the medieval re-creation group I'm in. Let's face it, such groups are
havens for us misfits, who suddenly find themselves in a group
consisting mostly of people like themselves (hm... there's a link to the
whole gifted/talented tracking issue there, isn't there), and sometimes
it goes to their heads. I've had more than one conversation with someone
who suffered from a feeling of superiority to the 'mundanes'; most of
them grow out of it, just as Bree does.

I was reading the first chapter of The Horse and His Boy to one of my
non-blood nieces the other day, and found that when I did Bree's voice I
was speaking through my noise and doing a very bad imitation of a
'refained' accent. :)

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"I don't get the facts wrong.  It's everything else I screw up."
    -- _The Librarian: Quest for the Spear_