dwj-digest (Diana Wynne Jones) V1 #929

Tue Dec 14 20:13:53 EST 2004

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 16:03:17 EST, JOdel at aol.com wrote:

>> So okay, here in America we pretend that we don't sort anybody and we shove
>> all kids through a 12-year academic curriculum aimed at preparing them for
>> college.
>>

>We do? Not in my day. (Note: I'm one of the groups token old-farts.) When i
>was in High School there were two tracks. There was General Ed, and there was
>College Prep and after around 10th grade never the two would meet except in
>typing class and a few random electives. Each track had *very* different
>requirements.

I know when I was in high school in the late '80s, we had the college track
and the regular track and the vocational track.  This was in Texas, and it
wasn't until my senior year that we had *any* advanced placement classes.
And then it was only one--English--and I didn't bother because I knew what
the general ed. requirements for my chosen university were, and AP English
was only good for basic English, not the honors course I was taking.

I was a little jealous of the vocational kids.  They got out of school early
and had *jobs*.

Melissa Proffitt