chicklit (was various)

Tue Dec 14 20:09:03 EST 2004

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 19:50:37 +0100, Irina Rempt wrote:

>> I didn't like the Princess Diaries at all
>
>My eldest kid is reading the Princess Diaries, and having finished my
>own book (Tea with the Black Dragon) in the middle of a train ride I
>borrowed her just-finished one and found that I liked it. Only the way
>I like a lot of that kind of teenage fiction (the kid is a few weeks
>short of eleven), though: pure fluff.

My story about the Princess Diaries:

Jacob came to me about a week ago whining about what to read next.  He was
holding _The Diamond in the Window_ and I told him "that one" but he said he
wasn't in the mood.  Bah.  So then he says he wants a romance and do we have
any Georgette Heyer he hasn't read yet?  No.  He says do we have anything
like that one Meg Cabot book.  I say, "Like maybe the new one?"  So I kindly
offered to go to the library to pick it up, since I was going there anyway.
He was very grateful and enjoyed reading it.

Next night:  I'm on the couch reading or something and I see Jacob puttering
away at the bookshelves.  These are currently inaccessible due to there
being a Christmas village in front of them.  I ask him what he's doing.  He
says he's looking for the Princess Diaries, having finished _Boy Meets
Girl_.  Well.  In the first place, I've told him before that we don't own
them; I've been getting them from the library.  In the second place, they
wouldn't have been on that shelf anyway, because it's Fiction and Young
Adult is downstairs.  He wasn't happy about that answer.  I offered to go
out to the library for him and he says "never mind, it's not that
important."

(For those of you wondering why I'm the one doing all the running around, I
should explain that Jacob has attention deficit disorder and when he's
balked, he doesn't think clearly.  I could send him to the library and he
might come back with a box of Krispy Kreme donuts--nice, but not the easiest
to read.)

Except that as the evening goes on, it becomes obvious that it *is*
important and that he really does need the books.  But it isn't until 11
p.m. that he figures this out, at which point nothing is open but Wal-Mart.
I resisted the urge to point out that if he'd only said something two hours
previously, Barnes & Noble would have been open.  Okay, I didn't resist very
hard, but I tried not to rub it in.  (It is, after all, a function of brain
chemistry that he can't control.)  I did say that I'd seen some of the
Princess Diaries books at Wal-Mart earlier that day, and he decided to make
the trek.

Fifteen minutes later I get a phone call.  He's in the book section and
needs directions.  I told him where to go--thank goodness all Wal-Marts are
actually a single entity with multi-dimensional access points.  The books
aren't there.  He does find a larger book somewhere other than Young Readers
that turns out to be an omnibus publication, but only of vols. three and
four.  Bummer.  He decides to give up and buy large quantities of chocolate
to drown his sorrows.  (And you thought only women do that.)

Ten minutes later he calls back and says he changed his mind; he's going to
the other Wal-Mart about twenty minutes south of us.  At this point I'm just
impressed with the strength and persistence of his desire for these books.

Fortunately for everyone involved, he found a dusty and overlooked copy of
the first omnibus volume, and brought them both home.  I'm just glad he
doesn't realize there's a fifth one out, or he might still be driving me
nuts.

I'm with Irina; it's fun teenage fluff.  Very entertaining and sweet.  I'm
glad Jacob liked them too, after all the work it took to get them.

Melissa Proffitt