(E)x-mas (was Re: CS Lewis (Was: Favourite books))

minnow at belfry.org.uk minnow at belfry.org.uk
Tue Dec 14 19:28:40 EST 2004

>On Tue, 14 Dec 2004, Dorian E. Gray wrote:
>|> Well, apart from those of us on the list who either don't celebrate or
>|> don't enjoy Christmas.
>|
>|Replace "Christmas" with "Midwinter festival of your choice", please.  I
>|left the phrase intact because it was a quotation; I don't myself celebrate
>|Christmas.  To me the very basic point of whatever most Northern Hemisphere
>|people are celebrating at this time of year is "hurray, the year has turned;
>|longer days, spring, renewal, etc. are coming so let's give them a hand
>|along with celebrations and encouraging candles and so forth".  And without
>|meaning to offend the Christians on the list, I do think you can (or at
>|least I can) boil Christmas down to fairly much that - the birth of the
>|Saviour has to be the start of the renewal, no?
>
>Hee.  Well -- not to be contrary -- I don't enjoy the whole lot.  **
>WARNING: Mild irritableness (at none of you) below: don't read if you
>don't like people to put you off your winter festival of choice. **

I knew, I just *knew* I remembered someone feeling strongly at some length
about this one!

I am waving the rest of the family goodbye on Saturday morning as they set
off to go skiing until 27th, and I am *not having any Christmas this year*.

No lights (and particularly no lights that flash).  No tree.  No goddam
turkey.  No mince pies.  No crackers.  Not even any Queen's Broadcast.

If anyone comes to the door and starts in with "Hark the Herald Angels
Sing" I shall lean out of the window over their heads and say "which is
more than you can do!  Go away: I've got a water-filled balloon and I'm not
afraid to use it!"

*And* I have not sent any cards, so there.

Ebenezer^WMinnow