dwj-digest (Diana Wynne Jones) V1 #929

Margaret Ball margaret at onr.com
Tue Dec 14 19:04:02 EST 2004

JOdel at aol.com wrote:

>> So okay, here in America we pretend that we don't sort anybody and we
>> shove all kids through a 12-year academic curriculum aimed at
>> preparing them for college.
>

> We do? Not in my day. (Note: I'm one of the groups token old-farts.)

Not in my day, either, and I bet I'm an older fart than you.  But I've
just finished getting two kids of vastly different temperaments and
abilities through a one-size-fits-all school system, and that's what it
looks like from where I stand.  The older kid, who is neither interested
in nor equipped to handle a four-year college education, had to take
exactly the same courses as the younger one, who breezed through high
school in three years and piled up a few college credits on the side
just to alleviate boredom.

Maybe there are better and more flexible school systems elsewhere in the
country. I sure hope so.

--
Margaret Ball
http://www.flameweaver.com

Mathematicians are like Frenchmen; whatever you say to them they translate into their own language and forthwith it is something entirely different.

                                        -Goethe