Blank Intro Form

Kathleen Jennings kathleen.jennings at gmail.com
Tue Dec 14 18:53:20 EST 2004

I usually read books in one sitting, so reading only a chapter or two
of Jonathon Strange and Mr Norrell a day (on the train to and from
work) is a new experience for me. Further, given the size of the book,
I am moving through it very slowly.

That said, I am enjoying reading it this way. I don't know if it is
better than if I'd read it rapidly, but being able to slowly savour it
seems the a very good way to tackle such an expansive, ponderous
volume.

There are many very beautiful scenes, and the setting is one I
associate more with Austen or Gaskell than fantasy. The most
delightfully fantastic scenes are laid in with a much lighter hand
than Dart-Thornton's, and the story - for all its stately pace and
manner - is constantly surprising on the small scale (unexpected
reactions and friendships and small turns of events).

As a result, though I do not rush to pick up the book in every spare
moment, I thoroughly *enjoy* the experience of reading it, and (at 1/3
of the way through) would recommend it to anyone who wants a placid,
pleasurable, imaginative read.