Blank Intro Form

Robyn Starkey rohina at shaw.ca
Tue Dec 14 18:09:57 EST 2004

I said:

>>Interesting. Justin and I had lots of arguments about how writers use
>>language. There were a couple of people we thoroughly disagreed on just
>>based on their vocabulary.

Ros replied:
>>Indeed interesting. If you have time and feel like it, I'd love to hear
>>about a couple of examples of where/how you disagreed in this way.

The one specific instance I remember most clearly was
<http://www.amazon.ca/exec/obidos/ASIN/0446610801/qid=1103065546/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl/701-8596903-3638743>The
Ill-Made Mute by Cecilia Dart-Thornton. Justin had a pre-publication proof
edition and he was raving about it. I didn't want to buy the book, so he
leant me his copy and I could not get through the first chapter. I recall
that I really hated the style, particularly the vocab choices which I found
pretentious, and occasionally misused. I think our disagreement was purely
stylistic, not that I read enough of the book to have opinions on its plot.

Robyn