Tracking (Was :CS Lewis) (Was: Favourite books)

deborah.dwj at suberic.net deborah.dwj at suberic.net
Tue Dec 14 16:22:21 EST 2004

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004, Katie Meyers wrote:
|This means I am supposed to now be in AP AB Calculus.
|I can't do it, so I'm in Applied Calculus (rather than the lower or
|higher track for my grade) with the unmotivated older kids, with no
|clear choice of math classes for next year, because they don't expect
|anyone to want to change tracks.

Unsolved problems are so much more annoying than the problems to which
I, being almost as smart as Melissa and Usually Rite, know the answers.
:)

There's no system that works ideally for everyone, even in the presence
of fantastic teachers.

My arguments is that the gifted kids will usually figure *something* out
on their own, and the less gifted won't, but that's not always true.
And true isn't always fair.

-deborah
--
I would rather go honestly to Hell, admitting that I leaped
knowingly into error and folly, than enter into the sweetest