dwj-digest (Diana Wynne Jones) V1 #929

JOdel at aol.com JOdel at aol.com
Tue Dec 14 16:03:17 EST 2004

> So okay, here in America we pretend that we don't sort anybody and we shove
> all kids through a 12-year academic curriculum aimed at preparing them for
> college.

We do? Not in my day. (Note: I'm one of the groups token old-farts.) When i
was in High School there were two tracks. There was General Ed, and there was
College Prep and after around 10th grade never the two would meet except in
typing class and a few random electives. Each track had *very* different
requirements.

I would be very surprised if it weren't the same now, although they probably
call everything something different. For example: there was no such thing as
"Advanced Placement" in my day. I suspect that that is what used to be called
"College Prep" back in my day.