CS Lewis (Was: Favourite books)

Irina Rempt irina at valdyas.org
Tue Dec 14 14:56:41 EST 2004

On Tuesday 14 December 2004 20:30, Kyla Tornheim wrote:

> Also, I was bored out of my skull in
> kindergarten, because I could already read, but my teacher thought I
> should be doing things the other kids were learning, like how to sit
> quietly. I think I was already at the "if you give me an interesting
> book, I'll sit quietly until I'm done reading it" stage, and my mom
> knew I was bored and thought the teacher was lame, so she bugged the
> principal so I got a special pull-out reading group the next year,
> with three other top readers in the grade.

Eek, stories of having to learn what you can already do always remind me
of the time I went to the job advisory office and they offered me a
course "to get used to a regular life again". You can say that again to
a woman who gets up at 6:45 five days a week, 6:30 on Saturday for
swimming lessons and 8:00 on Sunday for church, gets everybody off to
work and school at 8:00, has lunch ready when the kids come home, has
dinner on the table in time for people (including self) to go off to
whatever they do in the evening, keeps track of library books and
dentist appointments and sports events, and manages to write a novel in
the cracks between all that; only doesn't have a paid job. I stormed
out, very angry, and have never been back (meaning I still don't have a
paid job. Ah well.) Obviously they thought that anybody appearing at
their desk was the kind that lies in bed all day because they have
nothing to do.

</rant>

Oh, and I know about being able to read in kindergarten, too. My teacher
didn't want to teach me to sit quietly, though, but to show off my
reading skills to the other kids, which has given me a lifelong dislike
of showing off and a lifelong distrust of people who want me to show
off.

> ...okay, I guess what I'm saying is that my experience of non-tracked
> classes meant that I was bored, bored, bored, and tracked classes
> meant that I was interested and challenged.

My kids' school has tracked streams, meaning in practice that you stay
with your own class (unless you're *way* ahead, like my fourth-graders
who go to fifth grade for reading and spelling) but do the part of the
work that's suited for it at your own level. They used to have a policy
of "empowerment" which came down to "you can work at your own level,
but only if you're socially underprivileged or below the nominal level
of the class or both" but they got better.

   Irina

http://www.valdyas.org/foundobjects/index.cgi        Latest: 30-Nov-2004