CS Lewis (Was: Favourite books)

Kyla Tornheim kyla at sccs.swarthmore.edu
Tue Dec 14 14:30:13 EST 2004

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004, Irina Rempt wrote:

> As a parent of gifted kids, I won't be convinced until someone can
> convince me that my kid doesn't have to do most of the work most of the
> time, even if it does make them remember for a lifetime.

Heh. In fifth grade, I spent a bunch of time in math class showing other
kids how to figure out the problems. At least it made a change from fourth
grade, where I spent a lot of time doing logic puzzles, because I was
bored.

I think it really depends. I was so happy to get to seventh grade, because
finally math classes were tracked, and I was with other people who wanted
to learn, and wanted to learn a lot of stuff, and could do that pretty
quickly. Also, I was bored out of my skull in kindergarten, because I
could already read, but my teacher thought I should be doing things the
other kids were learning, like how to sit quietly. I think I was already
at the "if you give me an interesting book, I'll sit quietly until I'm
done reading it" stage, and my mom knew I was bored and thought the
teacher was lame, so she bugged the principal so I got a special pull-out
reading group the next year, with three other top readers in the grade.

...okay, I guess what I'm saying is that my experience of non-tracked
classes meant that I was bored, bored, bored, and tracked classes meant
that I was interested and challenged.