My introduction

Kyla Tornheim kyla at sccs.swarthmore.edu
Tue Dec 14 13:52:31 EST 2004

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004, Ika wrote:

> Least favourite DWJ: A Sudden Wild Magic; Deep Secret; Fire & Hemlock.
> Though Jenny tells me that *Crown of Dalemark* is going to be my least
> favourite when I read it, which I am procrastinating over as apparently I
> am not going to like what she does to Moril, and Moril is *me*.

Hm. I prefer that people not tell me whether I'm going to like a book, if
I'm set on reading it anyway; and if there's a specific reason I'm not
going to like it in their opinion, I definitely prefer they not say,
because if I'm looking specifically for something as I read, it definitely
colors my perception of the book.

And is the "she" in question DWJ? I'm not sure it's fair to say that she
"does things" to her characters. I occasionally get annoyed at other
authors for "doing things" to their characters, but that's when there are
unreasonable plot twists and people doing utterly stupid things that are
completely out of character. DWJ characters, on the other hand, might have
nasty things happen to them, but it's not that she's sitting there evilly
cackling about how miserable she can make them (at least I wouldn't think
so--Minnow, care to comment? ;^), it's that that's how life goes.

> (I've been really interested in other people's favourites/least
> favourites, because they're so *unexpected*! I can't imagine how *Eight
> Days of Luke* could be anyone's least favourite DWJ, or *Deep Secret*
> anyone's favourite, for example: can anyone who listed those two elaborate
> on *why*? I'd be deeply fascinated.)

Well, there are people who hate Hexwood, and it's been my favorite ever
since I read it. Let's see, why do I like Deep Secret? I like that it's
told from two points of view, in a very non-confusing sort of way. I like
how people seen from the outside can be very unsympathetic, and seen from
the inside are absolutely wonderful. I love how little bits of truth from
our world are parts of a bigger and more useful truth, and how it's
completely believable. I like that parts of the story take place in "our"
world, and parts take place in a completely foreign world, so I get both
little frizzles of normality (the whole con, for example, even though I've
never been to one) and the fascination of a different culture and
governmental setup (which seems a bit similar to the complexity of
Barrayar--I've just finished rereading Shards of Honor instead of, you
know, eating lunch or going to the gym). I like how it's got funny  bits
and serious bits and horrifying bits and lovely bits. It's also got one of
my all-time favorite scenes, Nick-at-breakfast. Is that enough of a why?

> Jaclyn Moriarty (I've been reading "Feeling Sorry for Celia" and
> "Finding Cassie Crazy" almost continuously for the past two years or so.
> I wish she'd write another book *soon*),

Ooh, there's more? I read the first one when I found it on the new YA
hardcover shelf, and quite liked it.