CS Lewis (Was: Favourite books)

deborah.dwj at suberic.net deborah.dwj at suberic.net
Tue Dec 14 13:51:07 EST 2004

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004, Margaret Ball wrote:
|So okay, here in America we pretend that we don't sort anybody and we
|shove all kids through a 12-year academic curriculum aimed at preparing
|them for college. And you know, that's not such a great idea either. A
|lot give up and drop out and feel like failures. In fact, I could go on
|an extended rant about how the American public school system is designed
|to keep poor and nonwhite kids in their place and sets them up to fail.
|<gritting teeth and demonstrating self-restraint here, dammit>

Depends on the school.  Lots of American public & private schools do
have tracking, and they usually do it wrong (tracked from 3rd grade, and
once you're in one track for a year, you're too far behind the people in
the next track to ever move up).

There's good evidence that mixing kids of mixed abilities in teenytiny
groups, so the faster kids help along the slower kids, works great with
the right teachers.  (Hear a thing, remember for a day; See a thing,
remember for a week; Do a thing, remember for a year; Teach a thing;
remember for a lifetime.)  But you have to convince the parents of the
gifted kids.  And you need the right environment.

[rant deleted because it's off-topic and controversial and political.]

Better than Larwood House, at any road.  No inquisitors.

-deborah
--
"A grown man punting a kitten who was looking the other way... It
was the bravest thing I've ever seen."  -- Sluggy Freelance