chicklit (was various)

Ika blake at gaudaprime.co.uk
Tue Dec 14 13:35:58 EST 2004

Melissa/Emma:

>>Speaking of modern epistolary works, Meg Cabot (of The Princess Diaries)
>> has
>>written a pair of fiction-romance works told entirely through written
>>communication, like email, interoffice memos, instant messaging, etc.
>> Jacob
>>and I both love them.  They're _The Boy Next Door_ and _Boy Meets
>>Girl_--sweet romance, a lot of humor, and I imagine a great deal of
>>catharsis for anyone who works for a heartless corporation.
>
> I don't usually like books using this type of communication, probably
> because I find it hard to remember to read the date, "to" and "from" etc
> (I
> forget to read chapter titles as well). But these books were fun!

I love those Meg Cabot novels (surprising myself - I didn't like the
Princess Diaries at all), and should probably have acknowledged her in my
PhD, since they got me through a particularly stressful stage in the
writing-up - and Emma, I think the sign of a good epistolary novel is that
the writing/characterization/plotting is so strong that it works even if
you *don't* read the date and the "to" and "from" fields (unless it does
something clever with the dates, I suppose, but I don't think my head is
ever in the mood to follow clever date-trickery when it's in the mood to
read fiction).

Jordan wrote:

> Other favourite authors/books:
> Can You Keep a Secret by Sophie
> Kinsella (Chick lit i know- at least I didnt put Gossip Girl! All you need
> to know
> if you dont know what those books are is that my English teacher pretty
> much
> forbids us to read them for Independent Reading),

*Really*? Has she explained why? I love the Gossip Girl books, and they
seem to me to be well-written, well-characterized, sharp, funny, and -
unfortunately I can only use the words "empowering" and "ideologically
sound" to gesture towards what I mean. Certainly a lot less ideologically
vile than many of the sorts of things The Kids Seem To Be Reading These
Days harrumph harrumph.

Love, Ika

PS: on chicklit in general: the Sophie Kinsella is on my 'to read' list,
but I haven't got to it yet. I like Helen Fielding of Bridget Jones fame a
*lot* - she's another author I read near-continuously - but haven't
enjoyed much other chicklit; I *hate* India Knight.

--
"When God changes me into a dragon, people from all walks of life will
admire me and listen to what I have to say for once in my life. Nobody