DWJ quizzes

minnow at belfry.org.uk minnow at belfry.org.uk
Tue Dec 14 12:06:00 EST 2004

Elise wrote:

>minnow wrote:
>>How about the healing magics?  Anyone else out there?  obDWJ, she's a
>>mind-healer, I swear it: people who are hurting from things they feel
>>emotionally, rather than from physical injuries, are made better by her
>>talking with them even if she doesn't really say anything particularly to
>>the point.  As it were and very hard to describe.
>>
>No need to describe it since it is in her books. Well said! Do you think it
>has anything to do with the way she writes (and says, but I wouldn't know)
>things that are true?  I personally suspect/think that is a big part of it,
>but I don't know how it works.

That might well be part of it, yes.  It would certainly make sense.  That
and not herself thinking that anyone is "mad" or "abnormal" or otherwise
not-to-be-attended-to, unless they are actively nasty or stupid to the
point of nastiness, which attitude must be very reassuring if one is
feeling that horrible "I must be abnormal to be feeling this way" thing
that is so often part of emotional anguish.  She is the most *accepting*
sort of person.

>I used to know someone who could quite literally pick up a wasps' nest in
>his bare hands
>>(I watched from a *distance*) to move it to a safe place from a site where
>>it was going to be poisoned, and not get stung at all, and if that wasn't
>>magic I don't know what is.
>
>That's amazing.  I wonder how that works, though don't plan to learn through
>trial and error. Even learning by observation sounds too intense....

It was a bit fraught.

As far as I could make out, he really did feel that they were potentially
friendly and just needed to be reassured that he was not hostile, that he
was doing it to help them, and that they had nothing to be afraid of.  That
was what he was saying, anyhow, in a sort of continuous way.  Maybe he was
telepathic with hive-minds, or something.

Which is another possible sort of magic for the list to consider, I s'pose,
even if it gets given a scientifical sort of a name.

Minnow