CS Lewis (Was: Favourite books)

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Tue Dec 14 09:58:56 EST 2004

> Culturally, yes. But there's pretty much no *religious* metaphors. Tash the
> nasty god doesn't show up at all and is pretty much just a part of the
> nasty culture as a whole, and Aslan plays a very bit part.

There are some good bits for Aslan there. But there's really no
religious conflict (though admittedly I'm sure conservative Christian
day-schools have been reading it as such lately) as such, just a
cultural one. Aren't we told in Prince Caspian that the Calormenes were
descended from pirate crews that took the native women on a south sea
island to wife by force?

There are some excellent bits in there, too. Like "The Bolt of Tash
Falls From Above!" And Bree's issues with snobbery. :)

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"I don't get the facts wrong.  It's everything else I screw up."
    -- _The Librarian: Quest for the Spear_