Favourite books (Warning, long)

Rowland, Jennifer A B jennifer.rowland at imperial.ac.uk
Tue Dec 14 07:21:45 EST 2004

Updated with the intros up to date- I'll post the complete list of authors if anyone actually wants it, but the mentioned-by-at-least-three list has grown quite a bit.

Douglas Adams, 3
Joan Aiken, 4
> Jane Austen, 10
> Kage Baker, 3
> Steven Brust, 4
> Lois McMaster Bujold, 20
> Emma Bull, 3
Susan Cooper, 3
Diane Duane, 3
Edward Eager, 4
> Jasper Fforde, 3
Neil Gaiman, 5
Robert Heinlein, 3
> Georgette Heyer, 10
Guy Gavriel Kay, 3
Rudyard Kipling, 3
> Ursula LeGuin, 5
C. S. Lewis, 4
> Patricia McKillip, 4
> Robin McKinley, 8
> Margaret Mahy, 4
> E. Nesbit, 4
> Garth Nix, 8
Elizabeth Peters, 3
> Tim Powers, 4
> Terry Pratchett, 11
Philip Pullman, 5
> Dorothy L Sayers, 7
Sherwood Smith, 4
> Caroline Stevermer, 5
Sherri S. Tepper, 3
> Josephine Tey, 3
Angela Thirkell, 3
J. R. R. Tolkien, 3
> Megan Whalen Turner, 5
Martha Wells, 4
Connie Willis, 7
> P. G. Wodehouse, 5
> Patrica Wrede, 9

Oh, what the heck, I'll spoil y'all, here are the ones mentioned by two people:

Margaret Atwood, Dave Barry, Octavia Butler, Leslie Charteris, C.J. Cherryh, Samuel R Delany, Dorothy Dunnett, Gerald Durrell, Dick Francis, Barbara Hambly, Zenna Henderson, Dorothy Heydt aka Katherine Blake, P. C. Hodgell, Paul Jennings, Laurie R. King, Sharon Lee and Steve Miller, Tanith Lee, Madeleine L'Engle, Ian McEwan, George R. R. Martin, Larry Niven, Andre Norton, Peter O'Donnell, Ellis Peters, Arthur Ransome, J. K. Rowling, Sellar and Yeatman, Neal Stephenson, Mary Stewart, Sean Stewart, Rosemary Sutcliff, Jack Vance, Bill Watterson.

This takes longer than I thought- I don't think I'll do the individual favourite titles (I know it would be interesting). Many of the titles are by the authors on the lists above, but then there are a lot of writers who haven't gone down as a favourite author, but have written one much-loved book- The Perilous Gard is an example. (I second the wish that Pope had written more than two books.)
Jennifer