CS Lewis (Was: Favourite books)

Jon Noble jon_p_noble at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 13 19:13:19 EST 2004

--- minnow at belfry.org.uk wrote:

> Dorian wrote:

> >Oh, absolutely.  "Always winter and never
> Christmas", for instance, is an
> >image to strike dread into any heart!
>
> Well, apart from those of us on the list who either
> don't celebrate or
> don't enjoy Christmas.  If for instance one of one's
> near and dear family
> died on Christmas day, it may not thereafter be a
> day one feels much like
> celebrating.  Always winter is a bit daunting, I
> agree, because after a
> year or so everyone would presumably start to
> starve.

And for people in the Southern hemisphere there is no
association between winter and Christmas, as it occurs
just after the summer solstice, when we have the
summer holidays following so we can properly enjoy our
presents.

Jon (who grew up in a family which didn't celebrate
christmas until we had children of our own for their
grandparents to dote on - I always resented that)