CS Lewis (Was: Favourite books)

Judith Ridge Judith.Ridge at det.nsw.edu.au
Mon Dec 13 19:05:25 EST 2004

On 14/12/04 10:58 AM, "Charles Butler" <hannibal at thegates.fsbusiness.co.uk>
wrote:

> Minnow:
>
>> Narnia was written by a Christian who was in the first flush of
>> born-again-enthusiasm when he wrote it, I suspect.  Being born again tends
>> to make people behave like dalmatian puppies who've just found a dead
>> hedgehog: they wriggle and bounce and make excited noises about it.  The
>> rest of us don't need to get too involved.
>
> First flush may be pushing it - didn't he convert around 1929?
>

>From an online bio of Lewis:

1929
Lewis became a theist: "In the Trinity Term of 1929 I gave in,  and admitted
that God was God, and knelt and prayed..." Albert Lewis  died on September
24.

1931
Lewis became a Christian: One evening in September, Lewis had a long  talk
on Christianity with J.R.R. Tolkien (a devout Roman Catholic) and  Hugo
Dyson. That evening's discussion was important in bringing about  the
following day's event that Lewis recorded in Surprised by Joy: "When  we
[Warnie and Jack] set out [by motorcycle to the Whipsnade Zoo] I did  not
believe that Jesus Christ was the Son of God, and when we reached  the zoo I
did."

Judith Ridge
Editorial Staff
The School Magazine