Favourite books

Charles Butler hannibal at thegates.fsbusiness.co.uk
Mon Dec 13 19:03:40 EST 2004

Deborah
> >You know, I reread Tam Lin, too.  Yet objectively I don't think it's
> >that *good*.  I think it's self-indulgent name-dropping English major
> >fiction set at Carleton ... er .. fictional Blackstock.  Yet I'm a
> >self-indulent English major, so I get off on all the clever
> >referentiality.  I like it for many of the same reasons I like much
> >fanfic, actually -- it pushes many of my fiction buttons.

Anyone here read Donna Tartt's *The Secret History*? I've only dipped into
it (it's in my second ranks of tbr books) but it seemed to have something of
that same studenty literary-philosophical  name-dropping appeal, as well as
some pretty sinister classicists. Or did I get the wrong impression?

Charlie