CS Lewis (Was: Favourite books)

Jon Noble jon_p_noble at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 13 16:53:54 EST 2004

--- Irina Rempt <irina at valdyas.org> wrote:

> I read them from the British Council Library in
> Amsterdam in my
> mid-teens. I read lots of weird SF in those days
> --The Long Afternoon
> of Earth comes to mind, which I recently bought
> second-hand and haven't
> dared re-read yet--

aka "Hothouse", Brian Aldiss, ahh yes. In the late
'60s the only SF available in the local library was
Brian Aldiss, John Wyndham plus Asimov, Clarke and
Heinlein (but only the juveniles). The school library
had a few juvenile space operas by WE Johns (of
Biggles fame) and Ivan Southall (anyone else remember
the Simon Black books - only some of which were SF).
There was also one book which hooked me on SF which I
think was Ed Hamilton's "The haunted stars". I've
since bought a copy buyt don't dare reread it in case
either a) it wasn't that book at all and then I have
the frustrating task of trying to find out what it
was. or
b) it was that book.

Jon