Helen rewrites Little Women

HSchinske at aol.com HSchinske at aol.com
Mon Dec 13 16:34:50 EST 2004

In a message dated 12/12/2004 6:35:29 PM Pacific Standard Time,
owner-dwj-digest at suberic.net writes:

> Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 00:32:51 -0000
> From: "Charles Butler" <hannibal at thegates.fsbusiness.co.uk>
> Subject: Helen rewrites Little Women
>
> I was glad to see that our own Helen Schinske seems to have prompted Puffin
> Classics to un-bowdlerize their text of *Little Women* and restore its
> sinful references to the terpsichorean art. Check out the full story at
> ACHUKACHAT...
> http://achuka.co.uk/achukachat/viewtopic.php?t=54&highlight=

Thank you so much, Charlie! I probably wouldn't have heard about this for
ages if you hadn't mentioned it.

I think there are three different texts of _Little Women_ that I know of,
counting the anti-dancing one, and I *believe* all three of them are available
online. In the 1880s edition (revised by Alcott herself, as far as I know)
Marmee is a "noble-looking woman", whereas in the first edition she was a "stout,
not particularly handsome woman." The anti-dancing edition is the 1880s edition
plus the weird anti-dancing edits, as far as I recall.

Helen Schinske