CS Lewis (Was: Favourite books)

Irina Rempt irina at valdyas.org
Mon Dec 13 15:21:55 EST 2004

On Monday 13 December 2004 20:39, Jon Noble wrote:
> I must be unique on this list in having read the
> Ransom books first, quite a few years before the
> Narnias.

You're not; me too!

> The Ransom books I read from the school
> library as a young teen.

I read them from the British Council Library in Amsterdam in my
mid-teens. I read lots of weird SF in those days --The Long Afternoon
of Earth comes to mind, which I recently bought second-hand and haven't
dared re-read yet-- and the first two fit that category exactly, but
_That Hideous Strength_ really impressed me. I think that was the
beginning of my taste for real-world fantasy, or at least instrumental
in it.

> At that time I was a devout
> Christian and really enjoyed. It was probably six
> years later as a late teen that I discovered Narnia.
> By this time I was no longer a believer but really
> enjoyed the Narnias. When I reread the Ransom books at
> that time they were no longer nearly as good.

Well, yes, same here, except that I never stopped being a devout
Christian. A much older friend recommended the Narnia books to me when
I was about twenty, telling me about the "hidden agenda" --I don't
think it's all that hidden, my nine-year-old daughter spotted it
without being told-- so I don't know what it's like to find out.

   Irina

http://www.valdyas.org/foundobjects/index.cgi        Latest: 30-Nov-2004