OT: A wonderful day for me

Ian Riddell iwriddell at charter.net
Mon Dec 13 14:38:15 EST 2004

I hope you're all ok with this. I wanted to share a wonderful event
from yesterday. I originally wrote this for my Unitarian Universalist
Musician's Network e-mail list . . .

Begin forwarded message:

> I'm not one to blow my own horn or crow a lot . . . but I wanted to
> share with you a positive "music in our congregations" story . . .
>
> Yesterday, during our regular Sunday services, my congregation
> "installed" me as Director of Music Ministry. Up to this point, I'd
> been referred to as Director of Music, but in conversations with our
> new minister and various board members over the past months it became
> clear that I saw this more as a calling than as a job.  I don't feel
> like I'm a musician who's doing church work - I'm a church musician.
> And so the minister and board decided to invest me with the role of
> religious leadership in our congregation.
>
> I was adamant that I not be called "Minister of Music". I'm not a
> minister. Over the past years we've moved from calling it our Music
> Program to calling it our Music Ministry. And so I am now called
> Director of Music Ministry.
>
> I'm deeply honored by this. The congregation presented me with a
> gorgeous Guatemalan "Tree of Life" stole and my adult choir (sneaky
> devils) rewrote and performed one of my short introits as a gift to
> me.
>
> I've been deeply moved and enriched since I became a member of the
> James Reeb community. And I'm incredibly proud to take on this new
> "title".
>
> Take care all
>
> widdy
> ----------
> Ian W. Riddell
> Director of Music Ministry, James Reeb UU Congregation
> Artistic Director, Perfect Harmony Men's Chorus
> Madison, WI
> iwriddell at charter.net

Eight blunders of the world that lead to violence: wealth without work,
pleasure without conscience, knowledge without character, commerce
without morality, science without humanity, worship without sacrifice,
politics without principle, and rights without responsibilities.
Mahatma and Arun Gandhi

Ian W. Riddell
iwriddell at charter.net